We are about to enter summer, a season when the sun's rays can become dangerous for our skin if we do not protect it properly. On World Skin Cancer Day "it is important to become aware that the skin should be cared for before, during and after sunbathing," says María Unceta-Barrenechea, founder of the María D'uol cosmetic laboratories.
Skin sun damage occurs because the collagen present in the skin is destroyed, giving way to an abnormal concentration of elastin. As a consequence, the skin loses its firmness and elasticity, giving way to premature aging of the skin, generating dryness, sagging and deep wrinkles.
"For this reason, from Laboratorios María D'uol, where we formulate cosmetics that take care of people's health through their skin, we want to pass on a series of tips for this summer," explains the company manager.
Tips for taking care of your skin before sunbathing
After winter where the skin has been protected under layers of clothing, now that summer is coming it is important to properly prepare it to avoid possible future injuries that can degenerate into melanoma or carcinoma. Steps to follow:
- Do a good cleansing and exfoliation of the skin to remove dead cells and make way for new skin.
- Provides deep hydration.
- Also take care of your diet. Get products that help synthesize melanin and that mainly provide vitamins A and E.
- Acquire some color prior to sun exposure.
Tips for caring for your skin during sun exposure
- Avoid sun exposure during the strongest hours of solar radiation (from 12.00 to 17.00)
- Depending on the type of skin you have, check your skin phototype and apply cream with a sun protection factor without forgetting your ears, hands and décolleté.
- Renew the application of the sunscreen following the instructions of each manufacturer (after each bath, or every so often, or after doing sports ...)
Tips for caring for your skin after sun exposure
Elevated temperatures cause skin water loss and vasodilation. That is why you have to apply products that soothe and hydrate.
For its part, the driest skins are those that can suffer the most during the summer. The hot wind, the sand and the sun cause greater dryness, accentuating the condition that this type of skin naturally already has and causing an older appearance. So keep the following tips in mind:
- After sunbathing, it is time to deeply hydrate both body and face.
- Use products rich in shea butter, hyaluronic acid, grape seed ...
What to do when faced with a sunburn
When we have been longer than due to the sun and the skin is red, inflamed, we must take into account the following actions:
- Lower skin temperature
- Do not scratch or pull the skin in case of peeling
- Avoid baths with salt water or soaps that irritate the skin
- Avoid exfoliating the skin
- Moisturize the skin with nourishing and regenerating products that contain gotu kola, vitamin E and hyaluronic acid.